Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Career Most Colleges DON'T Tell You About

At the age of 17 I applied for college with the dream of becoming a school counselor. My major of choice- Psychology. Half way through my college career I heard of the major "Human Services." Human Services offered tracks in school counseling, social work, teaching, or geriatrics. I decided to change my major from Psychology to Human Services emphasizing in school counseling (of course!) I wanted to make a difference in the lives of children.
A friend of mine, who graduated two years ahead of me, with a teaching credential came back to campus, and told me she was a nanny. I said, "You do what?" She proceeded to tell me all about her amazing new live-in nanny position, job details, salary, ect. I was blown away! No one on campus- teachers, students, coaches, administration- NO ONE talk about becoming a professional nanny.
The moral to the story is Child Development, Psychology, Early Childhood Education, Human Services, Teachers, and college student with a degree in a related field need to be educated on ALL their job options after college.
For more details regarding the nanny industry visit www.theapna.org, www.nanny.org, or call your local nanny agency!

No comments:

Post a Comment